CONGRESSIONAL BRIEFING: Human Rights Defenders in India Jailed for their Activism
India’s federal and state governments have jailed thousands of human rights defenders, journalists, activists and lawyers across the country under draconian laws such as the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) falsely accusing them of terrorism.
Please join this briefing to hear from victims and experts, both from India and the US, exposing India’s assault on civil and political liberties by jailing dissenters.
The briefing will also launch the “Free Umar Khalid” campaign. Khalid is one of India’s prominent prisoners of conscience, who has been included in the Freedom of Religion and Belief Victim List by the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF).
WHAT: Human Rights Defenders in India Jailed for their Activism
WHEN: Thursday, October 19, 2023 – 01:00 pm EST
WHERE: Rayburn Foyer, Rayburn House Office Building
TICKETS: Click here to Purchase Tickets
The panelists are:
– Syed Qasim Rasool Ilyas, father of Umar Khalid
– Eric Ueland, Commissioner, USCIRF
– Nausicaa Renner, Deputy Editor, The Intercept
– Niranjan Takle, Investigative Journalist, India
– Pieter Friedrich, Author “Saffron America”
– Husnaa Vhora, Indian American Muslim activist