IAMC Welcomes the Release of Dr. Binayak Sen on Bail
Supreme Court drops sedition charges against Sen.
Indian American Muslim Council (https://iamc.com), an advocacy group dedicated to safeguard India’s pluralist and tolerant ethos, welcomes the Supreme Court of India’s decision to grant bail to noted human rights activist Dr. Dr. Binayak Sen.
IAMC along with its friends in the international human rights community is relieved that the apex court has taken the first step in putting an end to a series of grave injustices committed against an innocent man at the behest of powerful business interests by the BJP led Chhattisgarh Government.
“Supreme Court’s move to drop sedition charges against Binayak Sen restores the credibility of India’s justice system that was severely damaged by the lower court earlier this year” said Mr. Shaheen Khateeb, President of IAMC.
“We commend the persistence of all our friends and coalition partners everywhere along with the 22 Nobel Laureates who campaigned for the past 4 years to demand Justice for Dr Sen.” Mr. Khateeb further added.
IAMC demands a thorough and expedited review by the Supreme Court of the alleged conviction of Dr. Sen and hope that the apex court would intervene appropriately to right the many wrongs committed against Dr. Sen by the lower courts.
Indian American Muslim Council (formerly Indian Muslim Council-USA) is the largest advocacy organization of Indian Muslims in the United States with 10 chapters across the nation. For more information please visit our new website at www.iamc.com.
Who is Binayak Sen?
- He has worked for 25 years as a doctor with tribals in Chhattisgarh
- Vice President of People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)
- Criticised state sponsored militia Salwa Judum for rights violations and misuse of powers
- Was a member of State Committee on Health Sector Reforms
- Won several awards for contribution to health and human rights including the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council