IAMC Newsletter May 2022
“O you who believe, be upright for God, and be bearers of witness with justice!” [Quran,5:8]”
Throughout April 2022, which spanned the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims in India witnessed an extreme surge in violence orchestrated by Hindu extremist mobs leading heavily armed processions on Ram Navami and other Hindu holidays. Physical attacks, stone pelting, harassment, and arson were reported from New Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Uttarakhand, Goa, Bihar, and West Bengal. These large-scale attacks were orchestrated by Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh’s militant affiliates, Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Bajrang Dal.
Following the violence, Muslim homes, shops, and places of worship were bulldozed in Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and the union territory of Delhi to collectively punish the victim community, a move that Amnesty International India condemned as a violation of Human Rights Law.
Numerous other organizations also condemned India’s continuing backslide on democratic values. For the third consecutive year, the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom recommended India be labeled as a Country of Particular Concern (CPC) for ongoing egregious violations of religious freedoms. In its 2021 human rights report on India, the US State Department listed “crimes involving violence and discrimination targeting members of minority groups based on religious affiliation” as serious human rights violations. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) also released their 2022 report ranking India at 150 out of 180 countries on the global Press Freedom Index, an 8-point drop from 2021.
India Genocide News
- BJP responsible for Anti-Muslim Violence in MP: Report »
- Extremists Threaten to Remove Muslims From Village »
- Seven Hindu Extremist Men Arrested For Throwing Pork, Torn Pages Of Holy Quran At Mosques In Uttar Pradesh City »
- Up Razes Islamic Seminary »
- India Falls to 150 in World Press Freedom Index »
- #IndiaMuslimGenocideAlert Trends On Twitter »
India Genocide News Round-up
- Indian Americans Ask Biden To Raise Persecution Of Muslims, Christians In Meeting With Indian PM Modi Today »
- US Rights Groups Ask USCIRF To Withstand Hindu Nationalist Pressure To Dilute Recommendations On India In 2022 Report »
- IAMC condemns physical assault on Muslim Journalists by Hindu extremists in India »
IAMC Joins White House Eid Celebration, Urges Biden To Press India To Stop Persecution Of Muslims »
IAMC Executive Director, Rasheed Ahmed, was among the invitees that included Congressman Andre Carson and Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib and others from the Legislative and Executive branches, as well as leaders of the American Muslim community.
- USCIRF’s decision to recommend India as a Country of Particular Concern welcomed by Indian Americans »
- India’s attacks on press freedoms similar to a dictatorship, says Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific Director »
- Indian Government Engaging In Prolific Mob Violence Against Muslims, Christians: USCIRF Commissioner »
- Modi taking India away from democracy, Kashmir crackdown is authoritarianism: US Congressman »
You can help by raising your voice. Change starts with you »